Wednesday, March 23, 2011

LIBYA: IN OR OUT?

I am an interventionist. I believe the fundamental answer to the Biblical question "Am I my brother's keeper?" is yes. 

If I see a woman being raped, I believe it is my duty as a man to rescue her. No matter the risk. It I see a dog or a horse being whipped, it is my duty to stop that abuse. If I see a crime, it is my duty to report it or stop it. 

I wish the USA had gone into Europe to stop Hitler instead of supporting him in the early years. But first do no harm. I wish we had stayed out of Viet Nam when we had the chance. Because that civil war was none of our business and had no strategic interest to the USA. Also, we couldn't tell the good guys from the bad.

Now, I think President Obama is right when he says we should help Latin American countries to  improve their economies, partly to slow down illegal migration to the USA, and partly just because it is the right thing to do.

But in Libya, I am stumped. What the hell should we do? I am glad, very glad, I am not the president right now. Although it would be nice to hear them play that song every time you walk into a room, and to have everyone stand up out of respect. Oh, well. Some things are never going to happen. Too bad, but we have to move on.

I read today that it has cost the USA $100-million a day to intervene in Libya. Sweet holy Jesus Christ on a crutch. That's a lot of do-re-mi.  

I agree with the columnist Tom Friedman of the NY Times: We cannot afford it. And I doubt if we know what the hell we are doing there anyway. As Friedman says, we don't know if this is a tribal war or a democratic revolution.

Friedman added:
"We have got to get to work on our own country. If the president is ready to take some big, hard, urgent, decisions, shouldn’t they be first about nation-building in America, not in Libya? Shouldn’t he first be forging a real energy policy that weakens all the Qaddafis and a budget policy that secures the American dream for another generation?"

I think so, too. Don't we have enough problems here at home? I know Qaddafi is a bad guy, but I can't tell if these "rebels" are good guys. Maybe that will become clear soon. Meanwhile, $100-million a day? Gee-zus.


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

(Link:)



No comments: