Tuesday, March 29, 2011

FUKUSHIMA ME

This may sound terribly insensitive, but these days when I'm wandering around the house, fixing food, exercising, thinking about my novel and feeling guilty about having so much fun, if I stub my toe, the swear word that comes to my lips is "Fukushima."

As in, "Damn that hurts. Fukushima!"

I say it several times a day, sometimes as a joke. I don't know what to make of the news. Maybe nukes are bad, maybe they are good. Like that old rhyme:

There was a little girl 
who had a little curl 
in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,
she was very, very good.
When she was bad,
she was horrid.

Perhaps nuclear energy is like that. As long as it doesn't blow up and fry our asses, it's great.

One commentator described a nuclear energy plant as like having a dragon in a cage. As long as the dragon stays in the cage, and keeps the tread-wheel turning, it's fine. But if it gets out, there can be hell to pay.

So now we have wildly mixed metaphors.

Fukushima.


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: