Saturday, March 5, 2011

JUNK FOOD, HEART AND SOUL

I caught my neighbor the other day coming home from McDonald's, eating one of their cheeseburgers and carrying a bag of French fries and drinking a Coke.

Oh, good, health food.

When you say that, people laugh. But it is appalling what junk people put into their bodies. Grease and starch, fat and sugar. High in calories and high in saturated fat. Heart attack in a sack.

Why do people do that? I thought when the world discovered health food, back in the 70s or 80s, that people would quit eating junk. I thought Mickey D's would go out of business. No more donut shops.

Boy, was I wrong. Junk food is bigger now than ever. And Americans are fatter and more unhealthy than ever. But people don't care. Give 'em their grease and starch.

It seems to me that junk food is symbolic of the crap that people watch on TV and read in People magazine -- I call it Peep-Hole magazine -- and other sources of mindless junk.

Why do people pay so much attention to celebrities? My theory: They want to be like them. They want lots of attention and want to be considered special, oh so special.

Did you know that great apes do the same thing? In tribes of apes, I understand, there are certain well known apes that the other apes watch a lot and gather around to groom. They treat these hot-shot apes like humans treat TV stars and movie stars. 

When coyotes or wolves kill an animal, the first part they eat, a veterinarian told me, is the fat around the stomach. It contains the most calories and the most nutrients.

When we eat junk food, we are eating like animals, the food that makes us feel full and satisfied the fastest. But it's not the healthiest.

Do apes eat junk food? Not that I know of.
Maybe they are smarter than we are.
I'm gonna try swinging from the trees.


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle


No comments: