Tuesday, February 8, 2011

LITERARY THRILLER?

I've been a starving writer most of my adult life and have made a living in journalism, teaching and PR. That hasn't been a bad life. I'm not complaining.

I enjoy those things and think they can be valuable, especially journalism and teaching. After all, journalism and school are where most people get their understanding of the larger world, outside their family and friends. (Or should.)

But my passion has always been fiction. I've tried before to write big literary thrillers, and my goal has been to make enough money so I could quit my day job.

In 1996, I had a novel that almost went big. A publisher was talking $500,000 and a two-book deal. BTW, that makes it cheaper for them; they get two for one. Half a million is enough for a break-out book, and I was hoping to be able to write full-time.

But the deal fell through, and I'm back at it again. Am studying bestsellers, first to see if I can find any that don't make me puke, and second to see if I can adapt any of their methods to my own work.

I've read "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," part of the greatest publishing phenomenon that I know of--the three books in the series have sold more than 40 million copies worldwide--and I'm planning to study John Grisham, John Sandford and other big bestsellers.

I don't know if this is even possible. Obviously, lots of other writers are trying to do the same thing. Even some non-writers. It's not easy.

But some people have succeeded. There are new writers on the bestseller lists all the time. Of course, most of their work is ridden with cliches and full of outrageous plot devices.

But my theory is that you don't have to write crap for money. I don't know if my theory is correct. After all, most of the big-money books are pretty crappy. But then, so are most so-called literary novels.

Anyway, I'm on a quest to make money writing fiction, and I don't want to write crap.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Wish me luck.
I'll need it.


Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

1 comment:

Sharine said...

Roger, you are not going to write crap. It is impossible for you to do so!

I have lots of "non-writer" song-writer ideas to support you in moving forward but none of these will get you to write and move forward. It doesn't even matter that I am a previously unpublished non-writer.

What matters is that I want you to succeed because you are a brilliant writer, a good citizen, and a much-needed Old Bastard in a wigged out new world.

Give 'em all you got, R.OG!

Love,
BabyCakes.