Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A GOP WHITE HOUSE AGAIN?

I am so glad I'm not a Republican these days. There was a time when the GOP had some honorable leaders. I admired John V. Lindsay as mayor of New York and former CA state senator Marion Bergeson. I voted for both of them.

Mrs. Bergeson ran the most responsive political office I ever covered, in my 12 years as a newspaper reporter. As far as I found, she was totally honest, totally reliable and always did the right thing.

Needless to say, that is rare now.

Of course Lindsay switched parties to the Democrats, but when I lived in NYC, he was a Republican.

Every four years, I look over the pack of possible GOP presidential candidates, to see if there is anyone I can respect and support.

But this year? Jesus.

Mitt Romney comes closest. He has a sterling record. Made a lot of money as a business leader. Saved the Winter Olympics financially. Was a great governor of Massachusetts, signing into law near-universal health coverage.

Aye, there's the rub. The GOP hates anybody who helps the poor.

You can't help the poor, Mitt, didn't you know that? You have to be a selfish, overbearing, rabid, right-wing asshole, like Donald Trump, to be a favorite of the GOP.

What is Donald Trump known for? Firing people on TV? Boy, that takes a lot of leadership, doesn't it? His business went bankrupt in 1992. He is a high living, high flying, fast talking bullshitter. Apparently he only cares about money, fame and power, the worst American values.

Why in the world would anyone vote for him?

A Newsweek poll published in the Feb. 28 issue estimates that Romney could almost beat President Obama, at 49% to 47%, and Trump could come almost as close, at 43-41.

God save us. If Donald Trump became president, he sure as hell wouldn't.

I could almost support Romney, if he had been more steady in the wind rather than blowing with those political winds. I don't admire a flip-flopper.

But if the GOP had any brains, it would pick Mitt. At least he is competent, if not consistent.

Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: