Friday, February 4, 2011

EGYPT NOW

I don't know much about Egypt. Many years ago, I dated a Greek girl who had been raised in Egypt. She was beautiful. Her name was Marie. Hubba hubba.

But as I read and hear news reports, mostly from NPR and the NY Times, my favorite news sources, I get the feeling that those are my brothers and sisters over there who are protesting. 

I say right on! Power to the people! Sounds like they are long overdue for a peaceful revolution.

I hope they get democracy and a functioning government.

But I have this warning: It is not going to be easy, and it is not going to be perfect.

Look at us here in the good old USA. Sometimes, democracy is a mess. Sometimes, it is threatened by well meaning people who are misguided. Sometimes, freedoms are misused.

But it beats the hell out of tyranny and torture.

Good fortune to you all, my Egyptian brothers and sisters.

Copyright 2011 by Roger R. Angle.


No comments: