Sunday, February 27, 2011

ACTION NOW? OR NEVER?

I am a pretty committed liberal, yet I don't do much when it comes to politics. I don't get off my fat ass and march, or haven't since Bush went to war against Iraq. I don't meet with my MoveOn committee members as often as I should. I don't show up at rallies or carry picket signs.

I don't know why not. Maybe I'd rather sit here and blog. It is easier. I don't think of myself as being lazy, but maybe I am.

My lack of action raises some questions: What do you owe your country? Your society? Your own political beliefs? Your own sense of honor? Your fellow man? How important is political action in the real world?

It reminds me of this quote:
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -- Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Is that what I am doing, nothing? Am I allowing evil to triumph?

The truth is, that's why I vote. I want my elected officials to do all the heavy lifting. I don't want to do anything except hold them accountable.

Maybe that is awful lazy. And one of these days, things could get so bad that we'll all have to get off our fat asses and do something.

To tell you the truth, I hope that day never comes.

I'd rather just blog.


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

2 comments:

Sharine said...

Roger, I think your experience is common here in 'merka. Except that most citizens don't think or talk about deeper levels of politics, they don't blog, and they certainly don't realize how to maintain a democracy (although we really live in a republic).

Oh, and most of our citizens don't know how to analyze critically.

You do more than most, but we can all take our participation to the next level. I think you made a big stride by joining MoveOn.

Roger R. Angle said...

Thanks, babycakes, both for the comment and for reading my blog.