Sunday, April 17, 2011

RED vs. BLUE -- BUSH2 vs. CHE

I think it's interesting and instructive to think about the differences between left wingers and right wingers.

I am not biased. Of course not. Hell, no. But I do have more sympathy for the right than some lefties I know.

Let's contrast George W. Bush and Che Guevara. They are good examples and embodiments of right-wing and left-wing beliefs, attitudes, and ideals.

I am about halfway through a bio of Che Guevara, and of course I lived through eight years of GWB as U.S. prez.

Who was more successful, more influential, more intelligent, more widely admired, and more deserving of admiration? Who accomplished more? Who was the better human being? Who cared more about people?

Who did the better job instituting regime change in a foreign country?

Gee, I don't know. Are these questions loaded, toward one side? Probably.

Who made more money for fewer people? Who improved the lives of the rich? Who lied more often? Who killed more people?

Hmm. This doesn't seem fair, does it?

Who was the braver man? Who risked his life more times for what he believed? No, this question is not fair. Bush weasled his way out of combat during the war in Viet Nam, while Che risked his life in his every battle in Cuba and was wounded twice.

OK, let's just admit that Bush2 was a bastard, except for his AIDS policy in Africa. That's the only good thing I remember about him.

Let's compare two facts: Bush caused the deaths of more than 100,000 innocent people in Iraq and made a terrible mess of regime change.

Che caused the deaths of fewer than 2,000 people, I'd estimate, during and after regime change in Cuba. And the regime change was masterful, although communism didn't work out so well in the long run.

How you feel about these two political leaders depends more on your biases than on the facts, it seems to me.

-- Roger




© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: