Monday, April 4, 2011

ANGER IN CHARACTER

Now I'm on Page 157, writing my novel, The Prince of Newport, and I realize that I wasn’t taking my characters seriously enough. My protagonist Link thinks the antagonist, Walker Lang, killed his friend Jeannie, whom he loved.

I was forgetting that and allowing Link to joke around with Walker, not to put him at ease, but just because I forgot his anger and fear and suspicion. I got to thinking that the character feels the same way I do. I could learn something from the pop-fiction writers in this regard. Their characters are usually very consistent.

When the character is angry, he needs to stay angry, I think, until something happens that changes his state of mind.

BTW, this novel is going fairly well, although my eyes get tired staring at the monitor all the time.

-- Roger

© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: