Monday, April 25, 2011

BEND OVER, AMERICA

Today, I heard a story on NPR about product placement and "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold."

The funny thing is, this guy Morgan Spurlock is making money, hand over fist, by making fun of making money, hand over fist. 

His movie is about product placement in movies.

He filled his movie with products -- 15 company sponsors, plus promotional sponsors -- and exposed the practice at the same time.

So he is both whistle blower and hustler, in one.

I think we should all do this.

I'll put, "This novel brought to you by Pepsi Cola," inside the front cover of my next blockbuster, if Pepsi will give me a million dollars to support me while I write it.

How's that for a deal? Are you listening, Pepsi?

All artists should do this. Painters could sneak in corporate logos. Or they could paint cans of Campbell's soup. Wait, that's already been done, by Andy Warhol. Musicians could quote ad jingles in their compositions.

Sexy women could sell ad space on their underwear. Whoa, there's an idea. Studly men could sell ad space on their U-know-what. Hell, I could do that.

Everything is for sale, ladies and gentlemen. You, me, everyone.

Step right up. And bend over.

We are about to drive you home.

-- Roger

(Brought to you by Trader Joe's green tea, Dos Equis beer, and Full Sail beer, by turns.)



http://www.laweekly.com/2011-04-21/film-tv/morgan-spurlock-s-the-greatest-movie-ever-sold-reviewed/

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Greatest_Movie_Ever_Sold/70167097?trkid=2361637#height794
© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: