Sunday, April 3, 2011

BLOOD AND GUTS

In the other room, I'm watching a documentary on the Military History Channel about WWII in the Pacific.

I'm glad that war isn't happening today. That older generation of Americans had the guts and the courage and the determination and the self-sacrificing mentality to fight and to win that war, and the one against the Germans in Europe.

These days, I doubt if we have that courage. At least, I don't see it around me. I see selfishness and greed and narcissism and people who don't care about anyone but themselves. Of course, I live in L.A., which is probably the self-centered capital of the world.

Maybe I'm wrong. We haven't been tested like that since the 1940s. Thank heaven. But it has made us soft, I think.


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle


No comments: