Monday, April 4, 2011

DISNEYLAND MARCHES ON

I heard on the radio today that Disney plans to build a new Disneyland theme park in China. I couldn't believe it. They already have one in Hong Kong, as part of their chain of parks and resorts around the world. You should see the list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Parks_and_Resorts

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy Disneyland. I don't like long lines, or parking lots, or artificial experiences, or being fleeced. The original Disneyland, in Anaheim, CA, has all those things, in spades.

The last time I was in Disneyland, 30 or 40 years ago, there was only one ride I liked, and that was "Small World," a dopey ride for kids. It made me cry. I can be such a sentimental fool.

The worst thing was the artificial beaver pond. As you would ride by on some train or other, a wooden beaver would rise up out of the water on a stick. How disgusting. I'd rather go camping and hiking and see real animals in the wild.

The thing I found most interesting about Disneyland was its use of space. Every place you walked or stood or sat in Disneyland, there were rides or snack bars or water rides or a monorail or elevators over your head, underneath you, and every direction you looked. They had engineered that place to death. It was amazing.

They do know how to make money, I'll give them that. I hated their movies, BTW. They convinced Americans that wild animals had the same emotional lives as people, and that animals were like toys. Yuck.


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle


No comments: