Friday, August 26, 2011

REWRITING MOVIES

Do you have a favorite movie that you watch again and again? I do. Do you want to rewrite parts of it? I sure as hell do.

My current fave is "No Country For Old Men," a potboiler set in Texas about drugs, money, and an amazing killer named Anton Chigurh, played by Javier Bardem.

For some reason, I can't seem to get enough of this flick. I watch it once a month or every two months.

Certain scenes make no sense, and I skip over them. The stuff about Carson Wells, for instance. And what the hell happens to the McGuffin (the money)?

But the most frustrating thing, to me, is the ending. Chigurh waits for Carla Jean at her mother's house. She knows he is there. She opens the bedroom door, and there he sits, in a chair in the corner.

Every time I see it, I want her to grab a 12-gauge shotgun from behind the door and say, "Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye."

BOOM! That would be so satisfying. 

Instead, the filmmakers have her sit down and talk to him. Drives me crazy.

Then, after he kills her (we don't see it), he gets into a car wreck that is a total deus ex machina, i.e., a huge dramatic failure. Then he wanders off, apparently without the money.

The ending is crazy making. I can see why they didn't want to give us a big fat Hollywood cliche at the end, but this is totally unsatisfying.

I think they should hire me to rewrite it and then remake it. Don't you agree? Let's all hold our breath.

-- Roger


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: