Thursday, August 25, 2011

MINI-REVIEWS: 'VOX,' 'FRI NIGHT LIGHTS, 'BREAKING BAD'

I don't know if anyone will find these interesting, but here are some mini-reviews of a novel and two TV shows:

8/25/2011 -- Baker, Nicholson -- VOX

I only got 23 pages in, and found it too boring to read. Snore. It’s not about anything, just this aimless and apparently meaningless conversation on the phone. It’s supposed to be about phone sex, but no relationship is developing, and no theme, so who cares?

I got it because it was supposed to be Monica Lewinsky’s favorite novel. And I have liked some of Baker’s non-fiction pieces in The New Yorker, especially on video games and on libraries. But this one is a big fat snore.

8/24/2011 -- FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, TV series, SEASON 1, DISK 1

PILOT -- Didn't work for me. I read a long article in the New York Review of Books that made it sound good, and a friend of mine likes it, and I saw the end of one recent episode on TV that was very powerful, so I thought I'd go back and watch the whole series.

But I couldn't get through the pilot. Something is wrong with the sensibility, at least for me. I didn't find it fun or engaging or entertaining. I'm not quite sure why. The whole social scene seemed so dysfunctional, and to no good purpose.

I guess it comes down to this: I didn't want to live in that world or spend any time there. So I took the rest of the series out of my queue. There are too many other shows that I do like to watch.

BREAKING BAD – TV SERIES (2008)

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Just didn't interest me. Druggies in the desert don't interest me. An ugly guy with his pants off. An old ratty RV full of drugs. The RV in the ditch. Dead bodies. All this is tedious and boring. Why should we care? I don’t get it. Not my cup of borscht. Breaking what? B.S. Breaking wind. I didn't get past the teaser opening.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 

PILOT -- Watched the pilot again. Have seen parts of some recent episodes, in the new season, and thought they were really great. The guy who plays Walt is a hell of an actor. So am going back to watch the whole series from the beginning. 

In the pilot, the theme of the worm who turns is not appealing to me. Walt is not very believable or very interesting. I do like it when he kicks the guy down to the ground who made fun of his crippled son. And when he gets the best of the two drug dealers.

I don't know. Maybe I will stick with this one.

-- Roger


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: