Sunday, August 28, 2011

'BREAKING BAD' #3: GREAT AGAIN

Last night I had to decide whether to send back the first disk of "Breaking Bad" Season One or finish watching it, so I went back to Episode 3 and finished it. I had quit in disgust after about six minutes.

Guess what? It was wonderful again. This is the episode in which Walt has a nice little chat with Domingo in the basement and gets to know him. The guy who plays Domingo (a.k.a. Crazy Eight) is a really good actor.

The characters I don't like are Skyler and her sister. They are pains in the butt. I guess they are supposed to be. Of course, so is Hank, but it is more obvious that he is supposed to be.

Some of my friends think I am too quick to get annoyed and give up on movies, books, music and TV shows.

Maybe. Maybe I am too sensitive.

But it seems to me that the job of the writer or filmmaker or musician is to grab your attention and hold it, by hook or by crook.

OK, so I'm hypersensitive. Entertain me, damn it.

Anyway, now I look forward to seeing more of "Breaking Bad." It isn't as good as "The Wire," which was the best drama I've ever seen on any screen, big or small; or as good as "Deadwood," but when it's good, it's great.

-- Roger

Copyright © 2011, Roger R. Angle

1 comment:

Joy said...

I'm interested in hearing your take on this series, as I've heard a lot of great things about it but haven't been impressed with the random episodes I've caught on cable. Although, I disagree with your opinion that something has to be highly entertaining at first. Especially with literature, I often find that the works I cherish most were difficult to get into initially -- A Tale of Two Cities comes to mind. And I look at literature as a form of entertainment as well as enlightenment.