Saturday, July 23, 2011

'LAUNDROMAT'

Recently, I have re-read a play that I wrote 20 years ago or so: "Laundromat."

I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I love some parts of it. I laughed out loud about 50 times.

But it doesn't seem to have a through-line, a central thread or spine that holds it together. It's just a situation, and the story problem doesn't seem to lead to drama.

It's about Margo, a young woman who gets kicked out of the house by her mother and needs a place to stay. She takes her laundry to the laundromat and puts the clothes in a washing machine and goes to a bar next door, where she meets two college boys who want to seduce her.

She also meets an older woman, Elaine, who wants to run her life. So there is the central conflict. Then Rex, a biker, comes in and sweeps her away. Thus the conflict shifts.

Everyone wants Margo.

So far, so good. But what does Margo want, besides a place to crash? And what do I care about? Is this story about anything? Where is the character arc? What does Margo learn? How does her life change?

It is Margo's story, but Elaine is the only interesting character.

I was going to publish it on the Web, on Blogspot, and offer it for production, but I don't like the overall story.

So I'm thinking about it. To rewrite or not to rewrite, that is the question. I'm deep into my novel and keep getting distracted by shorter, easier projects.

Mmmm. More TK.

-- Roger

© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: