Saturday, July 9, 2011

'HARPER'S ISLAND' - MORE NOTES

Last night, I stayed up late again and re-watched the first three episodes of HARPER’S ISLAND on DVD, from Netflix, including the pilot with comments by the writers/creators. Those guys sound supremely confident and knowledgeable. A very talented bunch.

The first three episodes worked just as well as I remembered. But I had not seen #4 before.

Episode Four – the guys go fishing and find the boat with the dead guy in it and the money. (SPOILER ALERT) They take the money.

The show is not perfect. I don’t like the little chubby guy with glasses and sideburns. His character doesn’t jell for me. Doesn’t feel right or ring true. He seems too simple-minded. And where did they get the guy who shot himself in the femoral artery? I never saw him before this episode. Those two guys and their story line seem artificial.

Having seen the end, it’s hard to believe that Henry set all this up. He seems too simple minded, too. I don’t like the actor who plays Henry. He seems fake. Especially if you have seen the ending. I don’t believe him. He’s acting like he’s acting.

The NY Times had a negative review, calling the cast “numerous bad actors,” but I don’t agree. The reviewer had probably watched too much TV, so he or she got jaded. For me, who watches almost no TV, this show is fresh and interesting. Only two or three of the actors are bad. Most are superb.

-- Roger

© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: