Saturday, May 28, 2011

PICKING WINNERS

I don't know about you, but I am bad at picking winners -- in life, in business, and in sports.

Years ago, when Novak Djokovic was losing and then losing again at tennis, I thought he was  always going to be a loser. Shows what I know, and I played tennis from age 16 to about 60, so I thought I knew jack.

Now Djokovic has a 42-match winning streak, one of the longest in tennis. My hat is off to him. Then I will eat it.

Also, years ago, when I heard Amazon was going to expand from books to every damn thing in the world, I thought they should stay focused on books. Easy to pack, easy to ship, easy to track. Boy, was I wrong. Colossally wrong.

I don't know how much Jeff Bezos and his company are worth today, but it must be up in the billions. Congrats to him. My hat is off, and I am sprinkling it with hot sauce as we speak.

In high school, I thought all the most popular kids were going to be the most successful. Not so. When my son was in high school, I thought his friends who were the smartest and presented themselves the best and were the most respectful to me were the winners. No so. Some of them went to prison, and some are dead.

So it's hard to pick winners. It's hard to predict the future. My advice: Leave your expectations open. Realize that no one has a crystal ball.

Let them surprise you. Most of the time, they will.

(PS: Picking winners is different from picking friends. I'm good at that.)

-- Roger

© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle

No comments: