Saturday, May 7, 2011

GOOD SPY FLICK

Weirdly enough, as soon as I wrote that post yesterday about bad movies, I saw a movie I liked last night: "The Patriots" about the Mossad, the Israeli secret service. It seems to be a docudrama based on real life.

I found it engaging, which is rare, because most movies these days bore me out of my beanie in about five minutes. (I especially hate movies by Judd Apatow, like "Knocked Up" and "The 40-Year Old Virgin," which are each based on one lame idea. I also hate movies about stupid people. There are several whole genres of Hollywood movies that I can't stand.)  

Anyway, "The Patriots" is quiet and intense and at times almost uncomfortably suspenseful. Here are my notes, which I wrote for Netflix and then revised:

This is pretty damn good. I am surprised that I never heard of these people before, especially the writer/director, Eric Rochant. This is one of the most engaging films I've seen lately and one of the best spy movies I have ever seen. And I love spy movies. I like the shifting identities and the shifting versions of truth and reality. And the shifting loyalties. Fascianting.

I don't know if I liked "The Patriots" as much as "Spy Game," with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt, but "The Patriots" is more realistic. In fact, it is one of the most realistic films I have ever seen.

It isn't a conventional thriller, and it isn't like "Munich," on a similar topic. It is dense at times. I had to watch the ending twice to make sure I got it.

(SPOILER ALERT) Early on, when we first meet the "hooker," I thought she was probably a spy, too, and I was surprised the main guy didn't suspect that. She is way too good at following the tricky directions he gives her. She only has to be told once. I would have to hear them three times and write them down. I would not trust an outsider to follow those directions and not screw up. Oh, well. Maybe that is just me.

Anyway, i recommend it. Does this mean that movies are better than I said they are? No, it just means good ones are hard to find. 

-- Roger

PS: Don't forget to write the Chinese embassy and ask them to free Ai Weiwei:


© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle
(Links:)





No comments: