Tuesday, June 19, 2012

FLEECING THE RICH

There is something hilarious about seeing the rich get fleeced.

This morning I heard--on the Madeleine Brand show, on KPCC-FM, an NPR station in Pasadena, CA--an interview with Michael Steinberger, who had done a story for Vanity Fair on arguably the greatest wine con-man in history.

Here is a link to the Vanity Fair story:  
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/07/wine-fraud-rudy-kurniawan-vintage-burgundies

And here is a link to the Madeleine Brand show:
http://www.scpr.org/programs/madeleine-brand/

This alleged con-man was buying and selling millions of dollars worth of rare and vintage wines. Turns out, allegedly, that some of these wines were fake. He was collecting empty bottles of very rare and expensive wine and refilling them with not so expensive wine, so the prosecutors say.  

Whee. There is something delightful about seeing greedy self-indulgent rich people get fleeced.

I don't know why. Oh, yes, I do. Poetic justice. I'm glad it's them and not me. I can't even afford to get fleeced in that way. Whee.

-- Roger


Copyright © 2012, Roger R. Angle

No comments: