Saturday, August 1, 2009

I WISH I LOVED BARACK THE WAY I USED TO

OK, it's been six months since Obama took office, and I haven't seen nirvana yet. The so-called "War On Terror" is still terrifying innocent people in Iraq and Afghanistan. Americans are still dying. Gitmo is still functioning. And single-payer universal health coverage seems like a distant dream.
More and more, Barack sounds like George in foreign policy.
Change is slow a-coming.
What happened?
Politics, that's what.
Seems to me that Barack, being the smart politician that he is, is looking forward to the next election and trying to find a way to win again.
The dilemma is this: Do you go for it, and try to bring new policies into every arena all at once? Or do you look at the long haul, and figure you have got to keep winning elections to win the big battles?
It looks like Barack has taken the long view.
He's probably right, but I wish I loved him the way I used to.
Oh well, he's still a million times better than Bush and his band of cronies, sycophants, morons and war criminals.

1 comment:

Sharine said...

Roger, excellent post. I know many of us who are true progressives feel deep disappointment. I believe that Obama is a charismatic person, speaker and leader with all the right intentions, highly appealing to us, but that he now governs more like a centrist, sometimes even like Bush in Barack's clothing.

I want to share an article with you that sums up WHY, in my opinion, our president is turning back on many of his promises, goals and stated ideals.

Here is the URL to copy and paste into your browser:

http://www.alternet.org/workplace/141668/consciousness_capitalism%3A_corporations_are_now_after_our_very_beings/

Otherwise, go to alternet.org to find the article by Joe Bageant. It's a quick and excellent read.