Tuesday, June 21, 2011

VOTE GOP IN 2012?

My buddy Phil, whom I call "The Real Doctor Phil, Not That Horse's Ass On TV," says he is neither a registered Democrat nor Republican.

"I vote for the person I think is the most competent and the most honest, who gives the best answers, and who will do the best job," he said.

"But" I said, "how do you tell?"

He said he listens to what they say and looks at their record.

OK, but my friend Phil, whom I call "Doc" for short, sometimes votes for Republicans.

I find that very hard to do. I have done it twice in my life, for John V. Lindsay, mayor of New York City, and for Marian Bergeson, CA state senator. Both were outstanding leaders, I thought.

But since then--and that was 30-40 years ago--the Republicans have had such a brutal record and are full of such crazy ideas and unreasonable prejudices that I doubt if I could vote for one.

I do like Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney, although I think Mitt has shown a lot of cowardice about his Massachusetts healthcare law.

The mayor of Salt Lake City, the other day on NPR, said both Jon and Mitt are good guys. He knows Huntsman especially well and says Huntsman is an intelligent man with wide experience who wants to make the world a better place. And that mayor is a Democrat, which counts for a lot.

OK, I like competence and ethics.

But remember it was the much admired Republican President Ronald Reagan who was partly responsible for the deaths of 200,000 innocent people in Guatemala during the Red scare while he was president.

Not to mention Bush 2 and his illegal war and consequent butchery in Iraq.

The GOP usually wants tax breaks for the rich, more money for the Department of Defense, and less money for Medicare and Social Security. It's motto seems to be "Screw the Poor."

So Huntsman and Romney may be two good guys, but they are in the wrong party.

I am planning to stick with Obama in 2012.

-- Roger

© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle



http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20073089-503544.html

No comments: